On Sunday evening we had the pleasure of hosting Dr. Gisela Kreglinger (PhD in historical theology, University of St. Andrews) at Denver Institute for Faith & Work. She spoke on her delightful, powerful book The Spirituality of Wine (Eerdmans, 2016). Here are nine quotes from the event (posted on my Twitter feed ) that gave me new appreciation for God’s world and his good gifts – including the gift of wine (especially Pinot Noir!). (And here’s another article Joanna Meyer wrote on the book before the event).
1. “The reason why wine is compared to the kingdom of God is because it’s vast and beautiful.”
2. “Exploring the spirituality of wine is a way to develop a theology for all of life – and a theology of joy.”
3. “Thirst for perfection is the death of joy,” (Alexander Schmemann).
4. “Reconnecting with ‘place’ – including where our food and drink come from – is a gift of God.”
5. “Attention, taken to it’s highest degree, is the same thing as prayer,” (Simone Weil).
6. “Holy intoxication can help us relax, be vulnerable, and take off our masks. Not alcohol abuse but communal feasting.”
7. “I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom” (Matthew 26:29).
8. “Stop and smell, simply because it’s beautiful. [Referring to wine.] It’s God’s creation.”
9. “Wine is God’s way of kissing humanity.”